- Level: intermediate
- Time: 1h 30 min
- Yield: 14 pieces
- For a long time I was going to cook this dish, and I just got an occasion for a culinary master class dedicated to Father Frost’s Birthday. Of course, I immediately wanted to cook something from old-fashioned Russian cuisine. The original of the recipe is taken from the «Book about tasty and healthy food» EKSMO 2006.
By the way, if you prefer healthy food, you can not fry the pieces, not use eggs and breadcrumbs, but just to steam, then bake for several minutes in the oven.
- 1 kg any fish fillet ( cod, zander)
- 250 gr baguette or white bread sliced
- 200 ml milk
- 3-4 medium onions
- 1 boiled egg
- 2 eggs
- 20 gr dried or 80 gr fresh mushrooms
- 100 ml oil
- 300 gr bread crumbs
- salt and freshly grounded black pepper on taste
- 1/2 fresh parsley bundle
For sour cream sauce
- 150 gr sour cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- capers optional
- Bread pieces soak in milk, squeeze and grind with fish fillet slices twice. Season with salt, pepper, add left milk. Mix and beat the minced fish (several times to beat the whole mince on the bottom of the bowl, it will become airy).
- Prepare the filling. If we use dried mushrooms soak them in boiling water, if fresh mushrooms (better of course wild mushrooms), finely chop them and fry together with finely chopped onions in a pan with vegetable oil ( or any) over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes. Finely chop boiled egg.
- Mix together the fried onions, mushrooms and egg, finely chopped parsley greens, season with salt and pepper.
- Start forming our cutlets, it’s best to do it with disposable gloves. Roll a ball of minced fish the size of an egg. Flatten the ball and place teaspoon of filling to the center. The edges must be tightly sealed. Make crescent shape.
- Whisk the eggs. Each piece coat in eggs, and then bread crumbs. Gently set coated fish pieces into hot oil and fry 2-3 minutes on each side until slightly golden brown in color. I used the fryer for 160 °.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C. Put the fried pieces in a fireproof form and bake for about 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare sour-cream sauce. It is very similar to bechamel.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the butter over medium-low heat until melted. Add the flour and stir until smooth. Over medium heat, cook until the mixture turns a light, golden sandy color, about 4 minutes. Add sour cream to the butter mixture, whisking continuously until very smooth for 2-4 mins. Bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper, optionally add capers and paprika. Serve immediately.