Sochni are traditional Russian flapjack shaped pies, folded in half, the edges are not sealed, originally made of puff yeast pastry rolled very thin with different fillings. There are 2 kind of sochni — Arkhangelsk with meat or fish and Yaroslavl sweet with cottage cheese and berries. In this recipe used puff yeast pastry with pre-fermented dough with a little yeast as a sourdough starter.
- Level: intermediate
- Cooking time: 2 days 😃😉 or 12 h+6 h
- Makes: 16
puff yeast pastry
- 800 g of flour (give or take)
- 150 g of sugar
- 220+30 g butter at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 17 g of salt
- 19 g of active dry yeast
- 300 ml of liquid ( I used 150 ml of warm still water and 150 ml of warm milk)
- 450 g of curd (or ricotta)
- 3 tbsp of sugar (or on your taste)
- 2 yolks
- 50 g of melted butter (originally full-fat sour cream)
- 150-200 g of berries (raspberry, current etc.)
- 2 tbsp of breadcrumbs
- 50 g of melted butter
- At first make pre-fermented dough. Mix all together warm milk, warm still water , yeast and 100-150 g of flour in a small bowl. Cover with clingfilm and let it in a warm place for 2-3 hours.
- Then mix the left part of flour with salt, sugar, beaten eggs and pre-fermented dough and knead the dough . At the end add 30 g of butter and knead the dough until smooth and bouncy for 5-10 mins. Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for minimum 5 hours (better over night).
- 220 g of butter at room temperature spread evenly in a thin layer inside the baking paper envelope size of 20*20 cm. After folding the envelope, spread the butter over the envelope corners using a rolling pin. Here is an interesting video on making puff yeast pastry on YouTube in Russian. Chill the envelope with butter in the fridge for the same time as the dough.
- Before next step, remove the dough and the butter envelope from the fridge and set aside for 5-10 min. Next steps are described in a better way on this site with nice photos.
- Roll out the chilled pastry on a top dusted with flour thick 1 cm or a bit thinner. Cut into circles or rectangles.
- For the filling mix curd, yolks, sugar and melted butter all together.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Place pastry circles or rectangles without fillings on parchment lined or greased a piece of butter baking sheet and bake for the first time for 5-6 min until slightly golden colour.
- Remove from the oven and put some filling and berries onto the one half of baked pieces. Bake again for 5-6 mins, then remove from the oven and fold in a half, wrapping the filling. Brush over tops with some melted butter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake for 2 mins.