- Level: intermediate
- Time cooking: about 1 hour
- Yields: 40 in
- Have to say this recipe turned out not so easy to make at first. You should have some skills to make with soft pastry dough.
- 450-500gr of plaine flour plus extra for kneading but be careful- if you add too mush flour, pastry can turn out too dense
- 200 gr of sugar
- 200-250 ml of honey
- 100 ml of molasses
- 200 ml of still water
- 50 gr of melted butter
- 1 beaten egg
- 3-5 gr of spices mix on your taste: cardamon, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, back pepper, nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1 t.s. heaped of baking soda
- for glaze: 200 gr of confectioners’ sugar , few drops of lemon juice, 2 tb.s. of water
- Put sugar into a small casserole, add water, honey and molasses, mix all together and bring to 70-80C over medium heat stirring occasionally. Remove foam from the top with a kitchen skimmer and strain.
- Add a half of flour and mix with wooden spoon until smooth. Add baking soda,salt, melted butter, beaten egg and spices. Mix thoroughly and knead soft pastry dough. Better to use silicone mat and disposable gloves.
- Heat oven to 200C.
- Using a cookie scoop, portion out mounds of dough and roll them in your hands until they are a completely smooth ball. Place on the prepared cookie sheets leaving 2 inches between each cookie. They will flatten out somewhat but still retain a domed shape.
- Bake for 14 minutes. Cool on the sheets until the cookies firm slightly. Transfer to racks to finish cooling.
- Make te glaze. Gather the ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar, lemon juice and enough water (1 to 2 tablespoons) to form a thin icing. Spread on cooled cookies with a pastry brush.
- Bake cookies 2-4 min to harden icing and after that cool completely.