This is a really popular kind of Russian pies. Too hearty and savoury, if you’d like to recharge your batteries. Usually it was cooked for weddings and filled with poultry, rice, boiled eggs and fried mushrooms with onions. To separate different layers of filling better to use some blini (crepes). In this recipe I used pie dough crust, which is closed to creaming method of Pâte sucrée.
- Level: easy
- Cooking time: 2h
- Makes: 8-10 servings
- 200 g of butter at room temperature
- 150 ml of milk
- a pinch of salt
- a pinch of baking soda
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 0.5 tbsp of sugar
- 600 g of flour
- 150 g cooked rice (Indian Basmati)
- 1 or 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 500 g of cooked chicken meat
- 2-3 chopped onions
- 150 g of sliced champignons or wild mushrooms
- 20 ml vegetable oil and 20 g of butter for frying
- salt and black pepper on taste
- for sauce: 35 g of butter, 1 tbsp of flour, 250 ml of organic chicken stock
- for top: 1 yolk and 1 tbsp of milk
- In a big bowl sift flour, mix with salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- Whisk eggs with sugar. Add butter at room temperature and mix until thoroughly combined. Add milk and mix. Add flour mix to the butter mix in a few stages, knead the dough until smooth for 5 min. Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 30 min.
- Prepare a sauce. Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the paste cooks and bubbles a bit, but don’t let it brown — about 2 minutes. Add the hot chicken stock , continuing to stir as the sauce thickens over medium heat, not bring it to a boil for 5 or 8 mins. Remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. The mixture cool a little. Mix with shredded cooked chicken.
- Melt butter and oil in a large skillet. Add onions , sauté until they are tender and somewhat caramelized. Add chopped mushrooms and fry for another 5 min.
- Peel the hard-boiled eggs and finely chop them, mix with cooked rice.
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and divide into 2 pieces. Each dough piece roll out between 2 layers of clingfilm. Grease the baking plate (here about d= 25 cm) and line with bottom crust. Poke with fork the dough.
- Spread the shredded chicken with sauce, then mushrooms with onions and finish with rice mix. Place pastry crust on top. Crimp the edges to seal and make some cuts on the top for steam to escape. Brush over the top with egg wash. Bake for 40-45 min or until golden brown.