- Total time : about 1 hour and 25 мин.
- Yield: about 12-13 portions
- Adapted from the popular Sovietic cooking book «Everything is about tasty and healthy food». It’s absolutely delicious recipe, very hearty and a good idea for winter parties. I cooked it at cooking classes devoted to Maslenitsa (Shrove Tuesday).
- 350 ml milk
- 250 ml soured milk or kefir (If you need 1 cup of kefir, use 3/4 cup of plain yogurt thinned with 1/4 cup milk)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar ( or more optional if you are going to serve with jam)
- 1/2 teaspoon slaked soda lemon juice ( I usully squeeze fresh lemon juice )
- 8 over full tablespoon all-purpose flour
- about 100 ml vegetable oil to grease the pan
- 1 medium free-range chicken
- spices for stock (fresh thyme 3-4 sprigs , bay leaves-5 , salt, freshly grounded black pepper, grounded zira (cumin), coriander, celery and parsley roots, 1 roughly chopped onion and 1 roughly chopped carrot)
- 40 gr unsalted butter
- 1 yolk
- 1 tbsp heaped flour
- 300 ml chicken stock
- salt to taste
- 1 egg white
- 30 gr melted butter
- 20 gr breadcrumbs
- Place the chicken chunks in a large saucepan, add the cold water and bring to the boil, skim, then turn the heat down to a simmer. Add veggies, herbs and spices. Continue to simmer gently for about 1 hour, skimming as necessary, then pass the stock through a fine sieve. Season with salt to taste. Chicken chunks cool completely. Remove bones ans skin, cut into shreds.
- Bake crepes — full method here, except 5 and 6 steps.
- Prepare a sauce. Melt 20 gr (1 heaped tbsb) butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the paste cooks and bubbles a bit, but don’t let it brown — about 2 minutes. Add the hot chicken stock , continuing to stir as the sauce thickens over medium heat, not bring it to a boil for 5 or 8 mins. Remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. The mixture cool a little. Mix a yolk with a splash of sauce in a small bowl. Add remained 1 tbsp of butter to the mixture and a yolk. Mix all together until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Shredded chicken add to the sauce and stir. Grease with butter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs a baking mold. Assemble a cake. Place the first crepe layer onto your baking form and spread about 3 Tbsp of chicken mixture between each crepe layer for a total of 15-20 crepes. First and top crepe lay out deeply browned inside.
- Brush the top of cake with melted butter, beaten egg white and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake about 20-25 mins. Cool for about 15-20 min. Serve with an addition sauce portion or cranberry or lingonberry jelly.